Investigative Editor/Producer, FMG
New York, NY
The Futuro Media Group (FMG) is seeking an experienced Investigative Editor/Producer for a temporary one-year contract to lead its newly-created investigative unit. The Investigative Editor/Producer will supervise one full-time reporter/producer and various freelance journalists, to conduct a comprehensive year-long investigation focused on issues surrounding migrant labor and immigration.
The position is for one year only, with the intention to continue to fund investigations beyond, but no guarantee. Futuro Media’s offices are in Harlem, NY but the right candidate could work remotely.
The Investigative Editor/Producer reports jointly to the President and the Executive Director of Futuro Media Group, and works in close partnership with other senior editorial staff, including the production team of Latino USA.
The ideal person is passionate about Futuro Media Group’s mission to create multimedia content from the perspective of people of color and for underserved audiences. They can quickly engage and work well with others, are a strategic thinker and planner, and comfortable managing people. We’re a small shop, so we need someone who is a true team player unafraid of rolling up their sleeves and doing whatever it takes to complete an assignment.
– Lead FMG’s investigative unit and a major year-long journalistic investigation
– Produce multi-platform in-depth reports, including radio and podcast, digital and video
– Oversee all aspects of audio, video and digital production, including story development, production, post-production, delivery, and broadcast
– Direct, edit and supervise the work of one full-time investigative journalist in the unit and freelance journalists, including some undercover work
– Occasional field work as needed
– Keep the field reporters safe and provide them with the logistical and editorial support they need
– Review and edit final reports to maintain strict editorial and journalistic standards
– Develop sources, write and edit scripts, oversee interviews and tracking, and possibly narrate reports
– Collaborate on joint audio reports with the Latino USA production team, and video and digital reports with the Futuro Media digital team
– Serve as the liaison between management, investigative field reporters and other editorial staff at Futuro Media
– Oversee budget and financial reporting on a monthly basis
– Bachelor’s degree
– Minimum of 8+ years of radio journalism, 5+ years of investigative journalism, 2+ years of editor experience
– Experience with video and digital journalism a plus
– Excellent journalism and storytelling instincts, and a knack for developing relationships and sources
– A self-starter
– Significant experience with ProTools and similar audio editing platforms
– Commitment to diverse coverage within, and outside of, the Latino community
– Spanish language fluency preferred
– Ability to think thematically and integrate stories into the larger narrative of each week’s program
– Experience working with talent
– Experience producing and posting multi-media stories
– Understanding of current trends in public, commercial, and digital media
– Outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
– Strong attention to detail and excellent organization skills
– Must love radio/podcasts
Deadline and Application Process
An application (which consists of a resume, a cover letter of no more than 600 words, three work samples (can be links), two professional references, and salary requirements) must be submitted by November 30th, 2017 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your materials via email with the subject “Investigative Editor/Producer” to email@example.com. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please. The Futuro Media Group is dedicated to equal employment opportunity and welcomes all viable candidates who meet the job qualifications to submit their applications for consideration.
About The Futuro Media Group
The Futuro Media Group (FMG) is an independent non-profit media organization dedicated to producing multiplatform journalism that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media works in the public interest – informing and educating the public about compelling narratives, real lives, and important stories that are often overlooked by mainstream media. For more information, go to http://www.futuromediagroup.org.
The Futuro Media Group is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and background to apply.