Radio Internship at NPR’s Latino USA
Latino USA is produced out of our Harlem office by The Futuro Media Group, an independent non-profit media organization that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Latino USA is a weekly hour-long radio magazine show hosted by Maria Hinojosa. The show airs in about 200 public radio stations nationwide with a podcast that got more than 2 million downloads in 2017.
We are looking for the next great radio producer! We want self-starters to help in the production of the show covering everything from news to cultural trends affecting Latinos in the U.S. The staff is small, so there is a lot of room to do meaningful work.
- Research segment topics and interview subjects
- Pre-interview subjects before they come to studio
- Participate in editorial and production meetings
- Research and gather materials for show website
- Assist in assembling the weekly show
- Assist in reporting and recording audio for stories produced in-house
- Assist in writing scripts for host interviews
- Assist in editing audio from studio interviews
- Develop and produce an enterprise story for radio.
- Advanced matriculated college student—graduate or advanced undergraduate
- Self-directed and can work with a team in a fast-paced, extremely dynamic office environment.
- Excellent, snappy, vibrant writing, especially for radio and web
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other team members
- Familiarity with ProTools or other audio editing software programs
- Familiarity with news outlets from around the country
- Familiarity with policy and cultural trends, as well as with socioeconomic and racial/ethnic demographics of communities around the U.S.
- Familiarity with radio production process
- Familiarity with radio recording equipment
- Good writing, good at QA checking and copyediting
Send cover letter outlining how your interests, skills and experiences that line up with what Latino USA does. Please also email a one-page resume and a writing sample of no more than 3 pages, something that shows off your mastery of style and content. If you have audio samples, send links or mp3s also.
Email this to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Fall LUSA Internship” please.